Friday, 19 October 2018
A Raleigh 400 Quiz (2)
RALEIGH 400 QUIZ 20.2
The statue of Sir Walter in his home village of East Budleigh, created by sculptor Vivien Mallock and unveiled by HRH The Duke of Kent on 7 February 2006. Just one of the items featured in this Raleigh 400 Quiz
1. Which bird of prey would you associate with Raleigh?
Falcon – the name of one of his ships
2. The Raleigh family shield has two colours. White is one. What is the other?
3. What achievement in astronomy did Raleigh’s friend the scientist Thomas Harriot achieve in 1609?
The first person to make a drawing of the Moon through a telescope, on 26 July 1609, over four months before Galileo.
4. Raleigh’s mother was a member of which well known Devon family?
5. Which local vineyard has produced a Raleigh sparkling wine?
Lily Farm, near Budleigh Salterton.
6. What was the name of the sculptor who made the statue of Raleigh in East Budleigh?
7. Which company controversially provided funding for the statue?
British American Tobacco.
8. Which South American country did Raleigh visit on two occasions?
9. On which island in North Carolina is the outdoor drama ‘The Lost Colony’ staged each year?
10. The first English-speaking child was born in America in 1587 to parents known as Raleigh’s ‘Lost Colonists’ . Can you name her?
11. What was the name of the Native American Indian who visited England and was ennobled by Raleigh?
12. His name is associated with which Devon town where a road bears his name?
13. Raleigh was wounded during an attack by the English on which Spanish port?
14. What was the name of Raleigh’s surviving son?
15. What was the fruit, bearing the name of a Spanish town, which Raleigh reputedly introduced into England?
16. With which French Protestant/Huguenot family was Raleigh’s cousin Gawain linked by marriage?
17. At which London-based law school did Raleigh study?
18. Which Oxford college did he attend as a student?
19. What did Raleigh reputedly describe as a ‘sharp medicine’?
20. In which area of London is he supposed to have lain his cloak over a puddle for Queen Elizabeth?
Above: Sir Walter Raleigh - Dreaming Beyond the Medieval © Ronnie Heeps A dozen years ago, the Scottish artist ...
There have been or will be events in these places in 2018 to mark the 400 th anniversary of the death of Sir Walter Raleigh. This list c...
Matching the Millais Continued from https://raleigh400.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/matching-millais-in-2015.html ...